Tuesday, May 26, 2009

In the Beginning...

Part 1—the Trip

So, my actual travel on Saturday was not extremely eventful. I flew from Indy to Chicago (This ended up being a rather stupid decision as I then had a five hour layover in Chicago. Avoid this. O’Hare is not somewhere you want to spend five hours of your life.) and then from Chicago to Stockholm, Sweden. My brief time in Sweden was probably the most interesting portion of my journey to Copenhagen. Getting off the plane, I met three other students who were with DIS, so we explored the Swedish airport together, journeying through the fashion mall-esque terminal to find our gate. The layover wasn’t too long, and soon it was time for boarding. It wasn’t until the woman scanned my boarding pass at the gate to illicit a red flashing light and beeping, that we realized something wasn’t right. After about a minute of the gate-keeper frantically typing and trying to figure out what was wrong, another woman in reflective gear with a walkie talkie came bustling over, jabbering in Swedish and then promptly telling us that she had been looking for us. She then led us two gates over, where the OTHER flight to Copenhagen was boarding at the same time. We then scrambled through the gate, to find our seats, the last open seats on the plane. Whoops. But, about 30 seconds after we boarded, they announced that they were ready for departure, so fasten your safety belt, etc. etc. So, anyway, that flight was short and sweet and promptly deposited us in Copenhagen.

Part 2—Arrival

So, once we arrived in the Copenhagen airport and had collected our bags, we met the lovely DIS representatives and were, after some waiting around, bussed over to the DIS headquarters for registration and such. DIS is located in the heart of the city center and is housed in two authentic (for lack of a better word, I guess) Copenhagen buildings. The main classroom building is pretty much unnoticeable from the street, as it is completely overshadowed by the two bars on either side of it. So, we registered and then a group of four of us went on a lovely walking tour of Copenhagen. In the rain. While I was quite impressed by my initial impression of Copenhagen, I’m pretty sure that this tour didn’t really mean as much as it could have, had I not been so sleep deprived. The rest of the day, wasn’t all that eventful because everyone was quite jet lagged, but we got our housing assignments. My building by far has the best location. It’s right in the heart of the city, right down the street from DIS, (unlike most of the housing which is about a 30 min bus/train ride out of the city) making it super convenient and actually pretty nice overall. I share a bedroom and bathroom with two other girls, and we share our lovely kitchen with two more girls in an adjoining room. I’ll post pictures. My favorite part is the courtyard outside our kitchen window. But, anyway, I went to bed at 9 and slept for about 11 hours before I had to get up for further orientation.

Part 3—Jeg vil garne have et stykke wienerbrøl. Tak!

Ok, so now I’m actually in Copenhagen. I love the buildings. They are so colorful and just kind of quaint. I really do love them. All buildings should be more colorful, it would make life way more fun. I firmly believe this.

We had a crash course in “Survival Danish” as part of our orientation. Dear god, this language is bizarre and I’m pretty sure it is virtually impossible that I could even attempt to really pick up any of it really. The pronunciation of things is the weirdest thing. But! I did learn how to order a Danish in Danish. I can mostly pronounce it correctly, or at least better than when I started so that’s something right?

After our Danish class, it was time for a scavenger hunt throughout Copenhagen. They divided us into groups of six and sent us out to explore some of the biggest sites of the main city. Pictures are worth a thousand words, so I’m just going to post my pictures (with some narration, because since when has 1000 words been enough?) on Facebook. But, I liked my scavenger hunt group (with one exception, but I’m going to leave all of my derogatory comments about people for not so public communication) and they are all in my class, so it was nice to get to know some of them before class started.

Part 4—No Photographs, please.

So, today, Tuesday, was the first day of class, which ran from 9-12, leaving the rest of the day for us to do whatever we wanted. So, my friend Yvonne and I set off to find the Little Mermaid out in the Harbor. We ended up walking along the canals which surround the parliament buildings and the Queen’s Palace, which consists of 4 large manners arranged in a circle aroundan open courtyard. Also, by the way, you can walk right through this courtyard and practically right up to the door, no security. There are only two guards, one in for the Queen’s mansion and one for the Crowned Prince’s. We then proceeded through the courtyard, up the adjoining street, and along a street with many national Embassies, all of which were in beautiful old buildings along the streets of Copenhagen and all of which you could walk right into, no problem. All of these embassies distracted us, however, and we decided to track down the American Embassy. Big mistake. We found it, and it, unlike every other country’s embassy including Canada’s right next door, was housed in a 70’s style gigantic buiding with huge black bars and two security guards. It made me embarrassed for America. Really? That’s what we have to show for ourselves? Ugly architecture and unwelcoming bars and guards? I mean, it’s Danmark for God’s sake, who the Hell wants to bomb the American Embassy in Denmark. No one. That’s right. Unfortunately, you don’t get a picture of this lovely American symbol because when I tried to take a picture from down the street to fully capture the flag and building’s aura, one of the guards spotted me and literally came running after me, whistling to get my attention as Yvonne and I walked away. He stopped us and interrogated us about our pictures, making us turn on our cameras back on, delete the pictures and show him to prove it. So, you can’t photograph the American Embassy, whoops. God help America and it’s unbelievable paranoia. Today, I was embarrassed to be associated with the US.

But, anyway, we did eventually make it to the Little Mermaid, and climbed over the rocks and past the pack of Japanese tourists (ubiquitous to all tourist attractions, worldwide) and took photographs with her in the water. Yay, Copenhagen.

Anyway, that pretty much wraps my time here so far. This was long and ramble-y, so read what you want. This is kind of just for me, so I remember things better. But, I promise, future posts won’t be nearly this long.

5 comments:

  1. *comments*

    I too am in favor of exciting/colorful/quaint architecture.
    (and not so much iron bars)
    silly america.

    also, i feel like knowing how to order a danish in danish would somehow make my life more complete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and, you would try to board the wrong flight to copenhagen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mikael, this sounds extremely exciting so far.

    I wish you would have run away from the guard, making it a much better story... but this works too.

    your picture in front of colorful buildings is exciting!

    aaaaaaand... did you meet the crown prince yet? You should. Then you should totally get married; it would be just like "The Prince and Me" which is this horribly cliche movie from around 2004 that I watched yesterday about an american girl falling in love with the prince of Denmark. do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mikael, I love the title of your blog :) Also, the background is very you. Anyway, I wish I could experience something this exciting! And you should totally find a way to get a picture of the embassy, just be sneaky ;)

    And this is Katie, in case you didn't recognize the screen name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I swear, Copenhagen is coming back to haunt me everywhere ever since you announced you would be there this somewhere. I've been working for, what, two weeks now, and I've already dealt with three (THREE!) clients traveling in Denmark. Last summer we didn't have anyone going to Denmark. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark, and her name is Mikael.

    I digress.

    The Danish language looks very similar to Icelandic (by similar I mean I know "takk" means thank you in Icelandic, and I learned at some point that Danish/Icelandic are in the same language family). I've heard it spoken when I called the Skt. Petri Hotel (NOW YOU WILL STALK MY CLIENTS OMGZ) and it sounds...fun. I just murmured something and then proceeded in English.

    I know exactly how you feel about being un-proud to be an American. I had a similar experience traveling with my very American and exceedingly n00b-ish mother and grandmother in Hungary and France over spring break. When my French and Hungarian couldn't get me by and I had to speak in English, I would attempt a British accent so they wouldn't hold me in snooty contempt. Your experience at the embassy sounds frightful. I challenge you to go back and take covert pictures again a)because I want to see this imposing building and b)because I want to see if you can get actually get away with it. I suggest hiding from the bushes.

    Also, if you hate America now, just wait until you go back through customs. In Europe, the process is so very easy. I just strolled out of the Budapest airport with nary a passport check. Coming back to the US, though... *whistles* I was like, "who would EVER want to come here?" Really, you get treated like cattle, especially if you aren't in posession of citizenship / a green card.

    I digress again.

    Denmark sounds lovely. I'm very jealous of you. Please don't stop posting these long blogs because I am VERY bored here at work and, hey, I'm already living vicariously through people traveling abroad. It's what I'm paid to do. Your travel journals are more interesting than most, though, becomes it comes with a needed dose of Mikaelian snarkiness. Please, unleash your angst regarding this unsavory member of your group. I do love a good rant. Use hyperbole.

    -Josh

    PS - I agree with Katie. The background is very you.
    PPS - Ignore any typos in this comment. For some reason my in-browser spell check isn't working. I know this because I typed 'as;difuoqnefo3' and it wasn't underlined in squiggly red.
    PPPS - If souvenir size is directly proportional to comment length, I expect nothing less than a lifesize replica of Hamlet's castle.

    ReplyDelete